Everything About US VISA | All About United States of America (USA) Visa
Why Is A Visa For The US Required?
You can feel compelled to visit the US for a number of different reasons. Your first requirement for travelling to the USA is a visa. A visa is a legal document that enables you to travel to and remain in a foreign country temporarily or permanently.
Depending on your needs and the length of your stay, the United States of America offers a number of visa classes and subclasses. The process for granting visas in the United States of America is strict. The majority of visa applications to the United States are for non-immigrant visas, which allow Indians to visit the country and stay for a set period of time. When it comes to applying for an Immigrant Visa, which allows foreign citizens to permanently settle in the United States, the country only issues a limited number of Visas.
The USA Provides Various Visa Types
There are various types of US Visas available to Indian citizens. They are divided into two types: immigrant visas and non-immigrant visas.
Immigrant visas are issued to Indian citizens who wish to live permanently in the United States. Foreign citizens are granted a limited number of immigrant visas by the country. (This may be related to the distinction between immigrant and non-immigrant visas.)
Non-Immigrant Visa: This type of visa is issued to foreign citizens who wish to visit the United States for a limited time. Non-immigrant visas are classified according to the purpose and duration of your visit to the United States. The various types of non-immigrant visas offered by the United States are listed below.
- Business Visa
- Work Visa
- Tourist Visa
- Medical Treatment Visa
- Education Visa
Foreign visitors to the United States of America can apply for nearly 20 different types of non-immigrant visas. Religious worker visas, domestic employee visas, exchange visitor visas, student visas, ship crew or transit visas, work visas (including H1B, H2A, H2B, LI, H4 visas, and so on), and media and journalist visas are among them.
Also Read: Know Your Rights in USA
Documents Required For A US Visa Interview/Application
When applying for a US Visa, you must have the following documents on hand:
- A passport that is valid for at least six months after the intended date of entry into the United States.
- Photographs in colour.
- If applicable, a marriage certificate
- Evidence of financial assets.
- Spouse’s divorce/death certificate, if applicable
- In the case of a family-based or dependent visa, all original documents establishing the petitioner’s and applicant’s relationship must be submitted.
- A letter from the prospective employer confirming the essential elements of the job offer must be submitted in the case of a work visa.
- Certificate of Police Clearance
- Birth certificate
- If applicable, court records
- Any military records.
Criteria for Obtaining A US Visa
To obtain a Visa to the United States, a foreign citizen must meet the following requirements:
- The applicant must possess a passport that is valid for at least 6 months.
- You should not have a criminal history or any ongoing criminal cases against you.
- Dependents/spouses travelling with the applicant must obtain separate visas.
- The applicant must have enough money to support himself and his dependents.
- The applicant must be in good health and must undergo a thorough medical examination by an approved physician.
- The applicant must have close ties to his or her current country of residence.
- You must have a valid reason for visiting the United States.
- You should be free of communicable diseases such as tuberculosis.
Also Read: Amazing Facts About USA
Steps To Take Before Applying For A US Visa
To obtain a Visa to the United States, an applicant must complete the following steps:
- Determine the type of Visa for which you are applying.
- Determine your eligibility.
- Complete the online application form with all required information.
- Attend the Visa interview at a specific embassy with all required documents.
Obtaining A US Visa
There are two methods for obtaining a Visa: online application and offline application. When you apply online, you can electronically submit all of your documents as well as the completed application form. However, if you apply manually or via the offline method, you must collect/download the Visa application form, fill it out, and send it to any of the US Embassy offices in India.
Immigrant Visa Application Procedure
A US Visa applicant must follow the following steps when applying for an immigrant visa.
- A police clearance certificate issued by the Regional Passport Office is required. It is only good for a calendar year.
- You must be in good health and complete the medical examination test performed by approved medical doctors.
- Fill out the DS-260 Form with your Invoice ID number and Beneficiary ID number.
- Pay your Visa fees.
- Once you have completed the DS-260 form, you can schedule your Visa interview.
How to Apply For a Non-Immigrant Visa
The steps to applying for a non-immigrant visa in the United States are as follows:
- First, choose your Visa type. Based on the objective of your journey, you must choose a Visa category.
- Next, carefully fill out the Visa application form DS-160. Check to make sure that all of your info is precise. Since you won’t be able to make any changes after submitting the form.
- Pay the fees associated with your Visa type. You can pay by NEFT, Mobile Payment, or Cash.
- You can now set up your Visa interview with the US Embassy. You must schedule two interviews: one for the Visa Application Centre and one for the US Embassy.
Documents Required For A US Visa Interview
You must bring the following documents to your visa interview if you are applying for an immigrant visa:
Application for an Immigrant Visa:
- The Visa Application Centre stamps the DS-260 confirmation page
- Current and all previous passports,
- Regional Passport Office Police Clearance Certificate
- Medical examination report
- Documents supporting your Visa type
- A copy of your appointment confirmation letter is required for non-immigrant visa applications.
- The Visa Application Centre stamps the DS-160 confirmation page.
- Current and all previous passports
- Supporting documents for your Visa type
Making an Appointment for US Visa
You can make an appointment for your US Visa online. You must log in to your profile using the same credentials you used to pay your Visa fee. Then you’ll see the dashboard, where you can schedule your appointment by clicking the “Schedule Appointment” button.
You must make two appointments: one with the Visa Application Centre and one with the Embassy. The National Visa Centre or the Kentucky Consular Center typically schedules the majority of Visa application interviews to the United States from India. Schedule a Category 1 appointment with the Visa Application Center before your Visa interview to have your fingerprints and photograph taken.
It is critical that you arrive at the interview location 15 minutes early. You can also cancel or reschedule your appointment if necessary.
How to Pay Visa Fees in the United States
Visa fees can be paid online via NEFT, Mobile Payment, or Cash. It is not returnable. Individuals with diplomatic passports are exempt from paying Visa fees, regardless of the purpose of travel or the type of Visa. Furthermore, official passport holders are not charged for official Visas. They must, however, appear for a Visa interview at the US Embassy on any working day between 11 a.m. and 12 p.m.
Non-immigrant Visa fees can be paid in cash at select AXIS or Citibank branches.
Information Needed To Schedule A US Visa Interview
When scheduling a Visa interview appointment with the US Embassy, a Visa applicant should keep the following information handy:
- The visa application fee receipt.
- Your passport number.
- The DS-160 confirmation page’s barcode number. It’s a ten-digit number.
What If I Need To Attend An Emergency Visa Interview?
You can make an emergency appointment for your US Visa interview. When a Visa applicant has a genuine medical or humanitarian emergency, emergency appointments are granted. It includes seeking medical attention, attending funerals, making necessary business trips, and enrolling in foreign universities.
Applicants must provide valid supporting documents in order to be scheduled for an emergency Visa interview. Before attending the interview, the applicant may request an emergency appointment by completing the DS-160 Form and purchasing a valid fee receipt.
If you fail to prove your reason for seeking an emergency appointment, or it appears to the immigration authority that you have misrepresented your reasons for travel, your Visa application may be denied.
The following conditions are ineligible for emergency Visa interview appointments in the United States:
- Attending a wedding ceremony.
- Assisting pregnant relatives
- Attending annual business/educational conferences;
- Going on pleasure trips.
Refusal of A US Visa
Your US visa may be denied in the following situations:
- Incomplete Visa application
- Missing supporting documents
- You do not meet the eligibility requirements for the Visa category.
- You have a criminal history.
- Inadequate financial resources to support your trip to the United States
- Your intention to return is unclear.
- You don’t have enough blank pages in your passport.
- If your home country does not have a good relationship with your destination country.
- If you have not previously used a Visa issued to you.
- If you are not visiting the country for a legitimate reason.
- If you fail to provide adequate proof in response to your eligibility.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) – US VISA
What if I miss my Visa interview for a US Visa?
If you miss your Visa interview, you can reschedule for a category 3 appointment.
How do I pay the application fees for a US visa?
If your appointment is at the embassy in Mumbai, you can pay your Visa application fees with a credit or debit card or by sending a bank draught in the name of the US Consulate General, Mumbai.
How do I renew my visa to the United States?
You can renew your US Visa online by providing some basic information such as your name, email address, and phone number. The process of renewing your USA visa may take several weeks, depending on how quickly you can get an appointment at the US Embassy.
What exactly is a work visa? How do I obtain a work visa in the United States?
It is a type of Visa that allows you to work and stay in the United States for a set period of time. To work in any foreign country, you must have a work visa.
Typically, your employer will apply for a work permit on your behalf by contacting the US immigration authority in India. The United States of America provides various types of work visas based on the length of your stay and the nature of your work.
Is it necessary for my child to attend the interview if I apply for an immigrant visa to the United States?
Yes. Your child must also appear for the Visa interview at the US Embassy in your country.
What if I don’t have a certificate of police clearance? Will I be permitted to attend my scheduled Visa immigrant Visa interview in the United States?
No. If you do not have a police clearance certificate, you will be denied entry into either the US Embassy in New Delhi or the US Embassy in Mumbai. To enter the United States, you must have a PCC.
Under what conditions can my immigrant visa application be held up?
If your immigrant visa application lacks required information or requires additional administrative processing, it may be refused or put on hold under Section 221(g).
Also Read: Best Inspirational Movies of All Times
What exactly is a K Visa?
It is a type of US Visa that allows a US citizen’s fiance or fiancee to enter the US. The fiance/fiancée must marry the US Citizen who requests this Visa within 90 days of entering the United States.
How do I obtain a visa for the United States?
You can apply for a US visa online by completing an application form and providing all required information.
What does FNU mean in a US visa?
FNU is an abbreviation for First Name Unknown. If you do not have a first or last name, your only name will be printed on the Visa page’s surname section, and your first name will be printed as FNU.
What if my passport is about to expire in two months and I need to apply for a visa to the United States?
Before applying for a visa to the United States, you must obtain a new passport.
What if I have a valid visa to the United States but my passport is about to expire?
In that case, you must apply for a new passport and bring both the new and old passports with you when visiting the United States. You may be required to obtain a new Visa.
What should I do if my US visa is damaged?
If your visa to the United States is damaged for any reason, you must apply for a new one.
What if my visa to the United States was printed incorrectly?
If your visa was printed incorrectly, please notify your embassy office as soon as possible and explain the error. To correct the error, the necessary steps will be taken.
I have a valid H1-B visa and want to change jobs. Is it conceivable?
Yes. You have the option of changing jobs. What you must do is notify US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
What should I do if my Visa is lost or stolen?
You must immediately notify Indian Police and obtain a police report. You must also notify the Fraud Prevention Unit with all of your information, including your name, date of birth, nationality, a copy of your lost Visa, the reason for loss, and so on.
Can I get a duplicate of my lost US visa?
No, you will not be replaced. The misplaced Visa cannot be replaced. You’ll have to apply for a new Visa.
What exactly is an H1B visa?
It is a non-immigrant visa that allows foreign workers to work in the United States on multiple occasions.
What is an L1 Visa?
It is also a non-immigrant visa that allows large multinational corporations to temporarily transfer highly skilled employees to the United States.
What is the H4 Visa?
It is a type of Visa granted to dependents of H Visa holders. It is granted to a spouse and children who may accompany you to the United States but are not permitted to work there.
What exactly is an SB1 visa? Who requires it?
It is a Visa for Returning Residents. It is required for those who have been outside the United States for more than one year or who have exceeded the validity period of their re-entry permit. They require new immigrant visas in order to enter the United States and remain permanent residents.
How do I apply for a Returning Visa to the United States?
Fill out Form 117 and schedule a Category -2 appointment for your Visa interview to apply for a Returning Resident Visa.
Can I reschedule my interview for a US visa?
Yes. You have the option of rescheduling your US Visa interview.
Should I bring my original documents to my US Visa interview?
It is determined by the type of Visa you have applied for. However, you should bring all of your original documents with you.
What exactly is Section 214(b) of the US Visa?
Section 214 (b) of the United States Immigration and Nationality Act states that visa applicants do not meet the requirements for non-immigrant status. This section states that every alien is presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes, to the satisfaction of the consular officer, that he is entitled to non-immigrant status when applying for a Visa. It means that Consular Officers must assume that all Visa applicants intend to leave their home country and immigrate to the United States. During the Visa interview, applicants must demonstrate that the officers’ assumption is incorrect.
Do I need a Visa to travel to the United States from the United Kingdom?
British citizens with a UK passport do not require a visa to travel to the US as long as their stay is limited to 90 days and they have a valid return or onward ticket. Visa-free travel does not apply to people visiting the United States for work or study. If you are an Indian citizen with an Indian passport and want to visit the United States from the United Kingdom, you will need a US Visa.