Pitru Paksha Shradh – An Introduction
Pitru Paksha Shradh: Pitru Paksha is given great importance in Hinduism. Every year Pitru Paksha starts at the beginning of Shukla Paksha of Bhadrapada month and ends on Amavasya of Ashwin month. It is believed that in the days of Pitru Paksha, our forefathers come to earth and shower their blessings.
During this time, people offer pinddan and tarpan on the ground for the peace of the ancestors. During this time the ancestors may come to earth in any form and Shradh is performed for the peace of their souls.
Giving bread and offering water to the ancestors in the right way gets their blessings and also removes the ancestral guilt from the house. It is believed that if the ancestors are not properly offered tarpan then they do not get salvation. Crows are said to be the form of ancestors. It is believed that our father takes the form of a crow and comes to our house at noon on the appointed day to receive the Shradh. He becomes enraged if he does not receive Shradh. This is why the first portion of Shradh is given to crows. Rules of Shradh must be adhered religiously.
How to Do Tarpan in Pitru Paksha Shradh
- According to the scriptures, the Shradh of the ancestors, Pinda Dan and feeding the Brahmins are considered complete.
- If you are doing Shradh and Tarpan at home then invite Brahmins to the home.
- Put the feet of the Brahmins and make them sit on the seat.
- Take Jal, Kusha, Akshat, Pushpa and Kale Til in your hands while offering Tarpan to the Pitras and invite them.
- Drop this water in the name of Pitron on earth 11 times for 5-7 times.
- In scriptures, crows are considered to be the form of fathers, so you must feed crows in Pitru Paksha.
Importance of Tarpan in Pitru Paksha Shradh
Tarpan is very important during Shradh. It is believed that Tarpan gives salvation to the ancestors and their blessings. During this time the ancestors are present around us, so they must do tarpan. If there is any paternal fault in your house, the ancestors are invoked to remove it. Tarpan is considered as the gateway to salvation among Hindus. That is why Shradh of deceased ancestors is considered necessary.
On Which Day Pitru Paksha Shradh Pujan Should Be Performed
Sixteen days from Bhadrapada Purnima to Ashwin Krishnapaksha Avamsya are called Pitripaksha. Jis Tithi Ko Mata-Pita Ka Dehan Hota Hai. On that date, his Shradh is performed in Pitrupaksha. According to the scriptures, the wish of his ancestors is fulfilled in Pitrapaksha, who performs Shradh according to the script according to his power.
Which God Should Be Worshipped During Pitru Paksha Shradh
Lord Vishnu is specially worshiped during the Pitrapaksha period for Pindaan and Shradh Karma. By worshiping Vishnu, the door of entry of the corpse into the father’s vagina opens, and at the same time salvation is attained.
Cows Have Special Significance in Pitru Paksha Shradh
Crows are said to be the form of ancestors. It is believed that our father takes the form of a crow and comes to our house at noon on the appointed date to receive the Shradh. If he doesn’t get Shradh then he gets angry. This is why the first portion of Shradh is given to crows.
Donate These Items in Pitru Paksha Shradh
1. Donation of Cow– Donation of cow is considered to be the best of all donations from a religious point of view, but donation of cow done in Shradh Paksha is considered to give all happiness and wealth.
2. Donation of Sesame Seeds– Sesame seeds are important in Shradh ke Har Karma. In the same way, donation of black sesame seeds protects from calamities and calamities.
3. Donation of Ghee– Donating cow’s ghee in a pot (vessel) in Shradh is considered auspicious and auspicious for the family.
4. Donation of Grains– Wheat and Chawal should be donated in food donation. In their absence, any other grain can be provided. If done with intention, this contribution produces the intended outcomes.
5. Donation of Land– If you are financially well off then donating land to a weak or poor person in Shradh Paksha gives you wealth and progeny benefits. But if this is not possible, instead of land, some clods of soil can be placed in a plate and donated to a Brahmin.
6. Donation of Clothes– Donation of two clothes including dhoti and dupatta is important in this donation. This garment should be new and clean.
7. Donation of Gold– Donation of Gold destroys strife. But if it is not possible to donate gold, then one can also donate money as much as possible for the purpose of donating gold.
8. Donation of Silver- Donation of silver is considered very effective for the blessings and satisfaction of ancestors.
9. Donation of Jaggery– Donation of jaggery is believed to bring wealth and happiness by destroying strife and poverty with the blessing of ancestors.
10. Donation of Salt– Salt donation is highly significant for the pleasure of ancestors.
Foods to Avoid During Pitru Paksha Shradh
Do Not Eat Garlic-Onion By Mistake
Vegetarians can eat garlic and onions. But in Hinduism it is considered the same as tamasic food. Therefore, the use of garlic-onion has been considered taboo in many fasts and pujas. Do not use garlic-onion for full 15 days even in Pitrupaksha.
Do Not Eat There Vegetables during Pitru Paksha Shradh
Non-vegetarian bhojan par to manahi hoti hi hai. But along with it, there are some such vegetarian food too, which should not be eaten in Pitrupaksha. For example during this time one should not eat potato, Arabica, radish and tuberous vegetables. The food made from these vegetables should not be offered to the ancestors, nor should these vegetables be used for the Brahmin food.
Do Not Eat There Pulses During Pitru Paksha Shradh
Chana, chane ki dal, masool ki dal food is forbidden in Pitrupaksha. Don’t include lentil or dal by mistake during Shradh karma. Also, do not eat Sattu made from chana during this period.
Mythology of Pitru Paksha Shradh
Pitru Paksha Shradh (Story 1)
Lord Krishna said that the soul never dies, it just changes from one body to another. So whenever you offer something to your ancestors, they get it. Danveer Karn, whose name was Danveer, gave a lot of charity throughout his life. Anyone who asks for something from him will surely get it. When Karna went to the next world, he was given double what he had donated, but it was all diamonds, jewels and gold and silver. Karna did not get anything to eat because he had never donated food. Karna became obsessed with hunger.
In the end, after begging Yamaraj, he asked permission to go to the earth and donate again. Yamaraj gave 14 days time to Karna. Karna came to earth and donated food and performed Shradh. When Karna came back to the afterlife, the food had not reached him.
Therefore, among Hindus, donating food is considered very auspicious. He should feed the poor during Shradhs. Through this our ancestors are directly reached. It is said that on these days, the souls come to earth at the command of Yamaraja and partake of the food offered by their descendants.
Pitru Paksha Shradh (Story 2)
Once two brothers were Joge and Bhoge. Joge was rich and Bhoge was poor. Once when it was time for Shradh, Amir Bhai’s wife asked him to perform Shradh, but he kept avoiding it as it was a vain thing. After doing this, Amir Bhai thought that if his wife did not perform Shradh, then people will talk about it, for this I am doing this by calling my mother’s family for the feast and showing my pride.
On the other hand, Rich brother’s wife called poor brother’s Bhoge’s wife to help with Shradh. When the day of Shradh came, the wife remained at work for the whole day. He prepared food for his ancestors, but as his ancestors came to eat, he saw that there, the in-laws of rich brother were eating.
Disappointed, they went here but saw ‘Agiari’ was given in the name of ancestors. His father licked his ashes and reached the bank of the river. Then they began to think – if Bhoge was able, then maybe they would not have to stay hungry, but Bhoge didn’t had anything to eat in his house. Mother gave mercy to the fathers and they said that wealth will come to the house if they enjoy it.
It was evening. The poor children started asking for food, but there was nothing in their house. Bhoge’s wife lied to avoid the children and said, ‘Go! The cistern is kept upside down in the courtyard, go and dig it up and share what you have.’ Children reached there, and got shocked to see the cistern full of gold and silver seals. The children rushed to the mother and told everything. Bhoge also became rich now. Next year, when Pitru Paksha came, he celebrated Shradh well, offered 56 types of offerings and fed Brahmins too. This made the father very happy and the wealth increased and the family always increased.
Pitru Paksha Shradh According To Shastra
Feeding Brahmins with Peace
Brahmins should take food with complete calm while eating. While eating food, do not say anything between meals. The reason for this is that your father takes this portion of food through Brahmins and during this time he needs absolute peace.
Do This Shradh on Pitru Paksh Dates
According to the rules of scriptures, Shradh should be done on the date of death of the family and on the day of Chaturdashi. Pitr gets satisfied with doing Shradh for two days. Do Shradh only with family members. Except the Pandit, no one should be present during the Shradh Puja.
Importance of Barley, Sesame, Kusha
Barley sesame seeds are used in making Pinda during Shradh Puja. Jau, Til Pitron Ko Hote Hain. Kush is also used in Shradh Puja. All these things are considered very sacred and ward off evil forces.
The Importance of River, Lake and Water Bodies
Often we see that Shradhkarma is performed on the banks of rivers and ponds. The reason for this is that Shradh should be performed in a place that does not come under the control of anyone. Rivers and ponds are not under anyone’s rule, so Shradh is performed at those places and offerings are made to the ancestors with their water.
Special Importance of Blood Relations
Sister, her husband and children i.e. nephews and nieces must be called in Shradh of their dead relatives. If they are not in the city, where they live far away, it is different, but they should be invited while they are in the city.
It is Fortunate if Beggar Comes to Your Door
When a beggar comes to your door while doing Shradh, there is nothing better than that. Feed him with respect. After Shradh Puja, the poor and disabled should also be fed.
Food during Shradh | Bhojan in Shradh
Kheer is the most essential food item in Shradh. Apart from kheer, also make the favorite item of the deceased relative. Apart from Brahmins, gods, cow, dog, crow, ant also share food. Never forget them. After Shradh, donate clothes to the Brahmins as much as you can.
The Dates of Shradh in Pitru Paksha
This year the full moon date of Shukla Paksha of Bhadrapad month is 10 September 2022. Hence Pitru Paksha (things related to Pitru Paksha) will start on this day and it will end on 25 September 2022.
- Purnima Shradh/ Pratipada Shradh- 10 September, Saturday
- Dwitiya Shradh-11th September, Sunday
- Tritiya Shradh- 12 September, Monday
- Chaturthi Shradh- 13 September, Tuesday
- Panchami Shradh- 14 September, Wednesday
- Shashti Shradh- 15th September, Thursday
- Saptami Shradh-16th September, Friday
- Ashtami Shradh-18 September, Saturday
- Navami Shradh- 19th September, Sunday
- Dashami Shradh- 20 September, Monday
- Ekadashi Shradh- 21 September, Tuesday
- Shradh of Dwadashi/Sannyasion- 22 September, Wednesday
- Trayodashi Shradh- 23 September, Thursday
- Chaturdashi Shradh- 24 September, Friday
- Amavasya Shradh, Sarvapitru Amavasya- 25 September, Saturday