Table of Contents
SEO Interview Questions and Answers
SEO jobs have become increasingly popular as the scope of a digital marketing career expands. Here is a collection of some of the most common SEO interview questions and answers to help you prepare for your interview.
What Exactly Is SEO?
SEO, or search engine optimization, is a series of activities that people engage in to make their website or webpage more understandable and appealing to search engine algorithms. When a webpage or website is correctly optimised, it appears at the top of search engine results.
The goal of SEO is to boost organic (non-paid) traffic to your website or webpage via search engine results.
What is OnPage and OffPage SEO?
- On-page SEO is the process of improving the quality of web pages by modifying internal elements such as content quality, HTML source code, content structure, keyword density, meta title and description, page title, url structure, internal linking, and so on.
- Off-page SEO is the process of improving a website’s search engine ranking by utilising external elements such as link building, blog directory submissions, forum submissions, social bookmarking, social media involvement, and so on.
What Other Search Engines Can You Think Of Besides Google?
Other than Google, the following are some of the most prominent search engines:
Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Ask.com, Vimeo, DuckDuckGo, and Yandex are some of the most popular search engines.
What Is Crawling and Indexing?
- Crawling: Crawling is the process through which a search engine’s crawler/bot acquires information about a webpage. A crawler, in simple terms, examines websites, associated web pages, links, and content in order to build entries for search engine indexing.
- Indexing: When a webpage is added to a search engine’s database, it is said to be indexed. After the indexing is complete, the webpage will begin to appear in search engine results. It is vital to remember, however, that the webpage will need to go through a search engine optimization process in order to appear in the top places.
Also Read: How to Write SEO Friendly Article
What Are The Benefits Of Using Keywords?
Keywords are words or phrases that describe what a piece of material is about. Keywords that have been thoroughly researched are essential for optimising content on your website and making it search engine friendly.
How Do You Conduct Keyword Research?
Keyword research can be a time-consuming and complicated procedure; however, as a short answer to this question, you can describe the following process:
- Step 1 (Analysis): Create a Keyword Bucket by researching phrases relevant to the industry/business and analysing keywords used on competitors’ websites.
- Step 2 (Research Related Keywords): Combine your existing set of keywords with the best associated group of terms.
- Step 3 (Create a List of Long-Tail Keywords): Make a list of long-tail keywords that users are most likely to search for.
- Step 4 (Use Google Adwords Search Planner to Test Keyword Phrases): The keyword planner will help you narrow down your list and provide you with a set of keywords that will improve your website’s performance. Google Adwords is also a useful tool for analysing competitors.
What Is Keyword Density and What Does It Mean?
The percentage of times a term appears on your webpage compared to the total amount of words on that page is known as keyword density. The goal of maintaining optimal keyword density is to help your website rank higher in search results without being penalised for keyword stuffing. The ideal keyword density is thought to be between 1% and 3%.
What Is A Long-Tail Keyword, Exactly?
It is necessary to first comprehend head keywords in order to comprehend long-tail keywords. Head keywords, also known as short-tail keywords, are common terms that many people search for (for example, Sports Shoes). Long-term keywords are variations on head keywords that narrow down the search (for example, Sports Shoes under Rs. 2000).
What Are Canonical URLS and How Do You Use Them?
The canonical URL function assists in specifying the source that should be deemed ‘original’ by the search engine when the same or similar information is used at multiple places within your website. As a result, it eliminates duplicate material by guiding the search engine to the most relevant source.
What Is A Meta Description and What Is It Used For?
A 155 to 160 character snippet describes the contents of the webpage below the links that display after a query is submitted in a search engine. Meta description is the term for this piece.
What Is The Purpose Of Alt-Attributes?
The alt-attribute is used in SEO to offer a picture an alternative text. If the image cannot be displayed for some reason, the Alt-attribute text provides information about the image.
What Exactly Is Backlinking and Why Is It Significant In SEO?
A backlink denotes a link on other website that guides guests to yours. Backlinks are extremely important in SEO since the amount and quality of backlinks have a significant impact on a website’s popularity and performance. Backlinks are one of the most important aspects that influence a website’s domain authority.
Also Read: Interview Questions and Answers for Managers
What Are The Various Backlinking Techniques?
Backlinking techniques include forum posting, blog commenting, guest postings on similar websites, the broken link approach, and the skyscraper strategy, among others.
What Are The Most Essential Criteria In SEO Ranking?
Following are the utmost vital SEO Ranking elements:
- Exceptional content
- Keywords that are relevant
- A safe and secure website
- Adaptability to mobile devices
- Backlinks of high quality
What Is Panda And Penguin Updates?
- Panda: The Panda update was introduced to increase the performance of high-quality sites while lowering the rank of low-quality sites. It is restructured on a consistent basis.
- Penguin (machine learning algorithm): Penguin is a machine learning algorithm. It was created to punish websites that use low-quality or spammy backlinks.
What Is Google Hummingbird and How Does It Work?
Unlike Panda and Penguin, which were simply upgrades, Hummingbird is thought to be a redesigned and better version of Google’s old search algorithm. This algorithm, which was introduced in 2013, is said to place a greater emphasis on the context behind the words and to understand conversational questions.
What Is Domain Authority and Why Does It Matter?
Domain Authority, or DA, is a measure of a domain’s ability to rank well in search engines. This statistic assigns a score ranging from 1 to 100. The better the DA, the higher the score.
DA is significant because it determines a website’s quality as well as its ability to rank well in the future. A high DA score is awarded to a website with outstanding content and a sufficient quantity of high-quality backlinks.
What Is Rankbrain and How Does It Work?
Rankbrain is a Google artificial intelligence programme that uses machine learning to gather data from many sources and train itself how to create the most relevant search results for the user. ‘User intent,’ according to many SEO pundits, is the core motivation behind RankBrain.
What Is An XML Sitemap, Exactly?
XML Sitemaps (Extensible markup language) are a machine-readable list of URLs on your website that help search engines explore the site more effectively.
What Is Accelerated Mobile Pages (Amp) and How May It Help You?
Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP), a Google-created open source coding framework, is used to develop a simple mobile responsive website that loads quickly on mobile devices.
AMPs are incredibly important since they speed up loading, lower bounce rates, and help SEO efforts.
Distinguish Between Organic, Referral, And Paid Traffic.
- Organic traffic refers to people who arrive at your website after discovering it through a search engine query.
- Referral traffic is traffic that gets to your website via a hyperlink on another website rather than a search engine.
- Paid traffic refers to traffic that comes to your website as a result of ‘paid’ search engine marketing and paid social media marketing efforts.
What Is The Description and Title Tag’s Maximum Length?
- The recommended length for a Meta description is between 150 and 160 characters.
- The proposed limit for the title tag is 50 to 60 characters.
What Is Structured Data and How Does It Differ From Unstructured Data?
If you want your website to appear as a ‘rich snippet’ in search engine results, you’ll need to include structured data. In simple terms, it is data that has been coded in a certain format that allows search engines to better interpret it and offer it to consumers in a structured rich snippet manner.
What Is Anchor Text and How Does It Work?
Anchor text refers to a hyperlink that appears on a website as text. Anchor texts are useful for SEO because they are frequently used as backlinks to other websites. Anchor texts that are relevant have a favourable impact on a website’s search engine ranking.
How Will You Approach SEO Optimization For A Website?
Here’s a rundown of easy steps you can tell in an SEO interview:
- Conduct keyword research and compile a list of relevant long-tail keywords.
- Create high-quality long-form content that is between 1600 and 2000 words in length.
- Perform on-page and off-page optimization, as well as endeavour to build high-quality backlinks.
- Create a mobile-friendly website.
- Ensure that the page speed is optimal.
How Do You Go About Undertaking Competition Research?
Competitor analysis is done in a variety of methods by different SEO professionals. However, you can narrate the following processes for the purpose of the interview:
- Step 1 (Shortlist keywords): First, make a list of the keywords (words, phrases, and longtail keywords) that best describe your site and are commonly used.
- Step 2 (Create a competitor list): Make a list of websites/webpages that rank at the top of Google for the nominated keywords.
- Step 3 (Analyze the webpage of a competitor): Examine crucial factors such as keywords, Meta data, backlinks, domain authority, blog frequency, and social media involvement on the competitor’s website.
- Step 4 (Find the Gaps): Compare your website to that of your competitors and find the areas where you can improve.
How Do You Evaluate The Success Of An SEO Campaign?
The following are some of the measures that can be used to evaluate the success of an SEO campaign:
- Keyword Ranking: The primary metric for your SEO effort is the rank of your website for a given keyword. Your website will rank higher in the search engine result pages (SERPs) if your SEO effort is successful.
- Backlinks: The quantity and quality of inbound links to your website are additional indicators of its increasing popularity.
- Traffic (Organic, Referral, And Paid): The amount of traffic you get and where it comes from will help you determine how effective your SEM (search engine marketing) and SMM (social media marketing) strategies are.
- Conversion: The ultimate goal of all marketing operations, including SEO strategies, is conversion. As a result, one of the most essential metrics to evaluate the efficacy of an SEO strategy is CTA (Call to action via sales, sign-ups, services, etc.).
What Role Does Social Media Play In SEO?
- Greater Visibility: While social shares have no bearing on your Google ranking, they do allow you to reach a larger audience. As a result, more people will visit your website, which will improve your search engine position.
- Increased Brand Awareness: Search engine optimization and social media marketing are two complementary strategies. A brand that has a strong social media presence and publishes high-quality content on its website is more likely to score well in search results.
- Assists in Link Building: Influencers that frequently use your website are likely to post the link on their own websites or blogs.
What Are Some Of The Most Typical Mistakes That Might Cause An SEO Campaign To Fail?
The following are some of the most prevalent mistakes that might derail an SEO campaign:
- Using the incorrect keyword
- Failure to use alternate terms
- Using low-quality or substandard content
- Creating content that doesn’t have a clear ‘call to action’
- Disregarding backlinks
- Ignoring technical considerations like as site speed, schema markup, smartphone compatibility, and website security, among others.
HR SEO Interview Questions and Answers
A list of HR SEO interview questions is provided below:
Tell Me About A Distinguishing Characteristic That Qualifies You For An SEO Position.
Possible 1st Response: (For Beginners)
I have a propensity for writing because I am a voracious reader. I also have a strong vocabulary, which I believe will aid me in creating material. My strong research skills can assist me in creating user-friendly, SEO-friendly material. I am adept at prioritising projects and completing them with efficiency and discipline.
Possible 2nd Response: (For Experienced)
I’ve learnt a lot about various content management and content marketing duties in addition to my primary skill in SEO (give examples). I believe that my broad comprehension of material will aid me in meeting the company’s and our clients’ objectives.
Also Read: 35 Good Habits of Kids
Do You Function Well Under Duress?
Working on many accounts at the same time is common in SEO, and completing the work often necessitates lengthy hours. The interviewer is attempting to figure out if you’ll be able to handle this high-pressure situation with this question.
Possible Answer 1: (For Beginners)
I believe my ability to succeed under pressure will be largely determined by how quickly and well I learn. I believe that once I am confident in the work I am doing, I will be able to handle the pressure well.
Possible 2nd Response: (For Experienced)
I wouldn’t say I’m not troubled by pressure, but I’ve learned to deal with it more effectively over time. I handle difficult circumstances with sensitivity and patience, and I manage deadlines by working according to a well-planned timetable.
Are You A Professional Who Is Well-Organized?
SEO initiatives necessitate careful planning and execution. With this question, the interviewer is attempting to determine if you are also structured in your job.
Feasible Answer 1: (For Beginners) I am a person who carries out his or her everyday responsibilities as cleanly and carefully as possible. This habit, I believe, will benefit me in this work.
Possible Answer 2: (For Experienced) Having managed numerous customers and campaigns at the same time, I am acutely aware of the importance of structure in a content management position. With practise, I’ve learned to schedule my work in a way that maximises productivity while still meeting deadlines.
How Well Do You Work In A Fast-Paced Team Setting?
Content management necessitates strong collaboration between creative and technical teams. As a result, being a good team player is crucial for an SEO professional.
1st Alternative: (For Beginner)
I’m a talkative and friendly person, so I believe I’ll be able to handle the team environment well.
Possible 2nd Response: (For Experienced)
To obtain good results, content management and SEO involve a collaborative effort from many different parties. I’ve learned how to speak with different members of the team and how to obtain the greatest results from them with time and experience.
Where Do You See Yourself In Five Years?
Possible Answer 1: (For Beginner) In 5 years, I want to acquire a thorough understanding of the digital marketing area, so that I am deemed worthy of managerial and strategic responsibilities.
Possible 2nd Response: (For Experienced) In five years, I’d like to be in a senior leadership position with the ability to influence strategy, manage finances, and have enough creative flexibility.
What SEO Trends Do You Think Will Emerge In The Near Future?
With regular search engine algorithm adjustments and continuous innovation, SEO and content management is an ever-evolving discipline. These developments must be kept in mind by aspiring SEO professionals.
User intent is the most significant factor driving SEO now, and it is likely to continue to be so in the future. This capability will only be strengthened with the arrival of AI and machine learning. Structured data markup is another crucial feature that will become more prevalent in the near future.
Do You Have Any Questions That You’d Want To Ask Us?
In an interview, some questions to ask include:
- Do you have an induction programme?
- What SEO tools does the organisation employ?
- What is the company’s/approach agency’s to SEO training and development?
- Are there any other expectations besides those listed in the job description?
- Is there a plan in place for the company to expand?
- What would you like to tell me about your company’s professional development opportunities?
- Is it possible to switch roles laterally in your company/agency?