Table of Contents
What Is The Importance Of Havan?
The special importance of Havan has been told in Sanatan Dharma because it is an important ritual for the purification of the environment. In ancient times, God was pleased through Havan, which was given the noun of Yagya.
In Vedas it is considered as Agnihotra and it is said that Havan should be performed before any auspicious work.
Out of the 16 samskaras mentioned in our scriptures, not a single samskara is considered complete without Havan Kriya. This thing has been described in the Vedas in such a way that just as a man needs water to live, in the same way Agnihotra is also needed.
That’s why in olden times, two times Agnihotra was an integral part of their daily activities. It is described about Agnihotra that if any substance is put in fire, then as its scope increases, the qualities present in it increase.
Difference between Havan and Yagya
The only difference between Havan and Yagya is that Havan is performed on a smaller scale, it is an offering made to the fire after any worship or chanting. Whereas Yagya is performed with the aim of pleasing a deity on a larger scale.
Havan Kund and the Havan Rules
Any auspicious religious act or the sixteen sacraments from birth to death are deemed insufficient without Yagya Agnihotra.
According to the scientific fact, the disease causing germs get destroyed quickly around the place where Havan is performed.
In the scriptures, Agni Dev has been considered as the medium for the welfare of the world, who takes the home sacrifices given by us to the deities, by which the deities get satisfied and accomplish the work of the doer. That’s why it has been said in Puranas.
The completion of any mantra chanting, every rite, worship ritual etc. all divine deeds remain incomplete without Havan.
There are two types of Havan, Vedic and Tantrik. Whether you perform Vedic Havan or Tantric Havan, it is mandatory to build the altar and land for the Havan Kund.
According to the texts, the altar and kund guard the gods and goddesses that Havan welcomed as well as the kund’s decorations. It also goes by the name “Mandal” for this reason.
Land Of Havan
It is very important to choose the best land for performing Havan. The best land for Havan is considered to be on the banks of rivers, temple, Sangam, any garden or the Havan Kund built in the north-east of the Guru planet of the mountain. Torn land, land with hair and snake’s bambi land are considered inauspicious for Havan Kund.
The Texture of Havan Kund
There are three steps in the Havan Kund. Which are called “Mekhla”. The color of these steps of Havan Kund is different.
- The first line of Havan Kund is white in colour.
- The color of the second ladder is red.
- The color of the last step is black.
- These three steps of the Havan Kund are said to be home to three deities.
- Lord Vishnu resides in the first step of the Havan Kund.
- Lord Brahma resides in the second step.
- Shivji resides in the third and last step.
Types of Havan Kund
According to the scriptures, doing Havan is significant, auspicious, and advantageous. However, do you know in which Kund Havan should be conducted, how many different kinds of Havan Kunds there are, and what advantages they have? If not, we are going to provide you all the details regarding this topic today.
There are many types of Havan Kund. For example, some Havan Kunds are circular and some are square, that is, they are square. The shape of some havan kundas are also triangle and octagon.
There are eight various varieties of havan kunds, each of which may be used to produce a different fruit, according to our knowledgeable astrologers. Tok Haliya is knowledgeable with the many Havan Kund varieties and their various advantages.
Vagina Pool (Yoni Kund)
This Havan kund is shaped like a yoni, as its name would imply. Yoni means a betel leaf shaped pool. While one end of this Havan Kund is half-moon shaped, on the other hand its other end is seen in a triangular form. There is a law to perform Havan in this kund to get a beautiful, healthy and bright son.
Crescent Moon (Ardhchandrakar Kund)
This half-moon-shaped kund (remedies for a happy family life) is used to remove obstacles in family life. A person can have a happy life by performing Havan in this kund.
Triangle Pool (Trikon Kund)
Like its name suggests, this Yagya Kund is triangular in shape. According to the scriptures, Havan in Trikon Kund leads to victory over the enemy and the special blessings of the Tridevs remain on the person.
Circle Pool (Vrat Kund)
The shape of Vritka Kund is circular. This kund is used for Havan for the welfare of the people. Using this kund, in ancient time’s sages and sages used to receive blessings and blessings from God for the welfare of the world.
Havan is performed using Samashtastra Kund to treat the illness. By performing Havan in this kund, one gets freedom from diseases and the risk of getting any type of disease also ends. In this kund, havan is performed for a beautiful and healthy physique.
There are 6 angles in this kund. When practising Havan with the intention of fostering love in society, this kind of Kunds is employed. Performing Havan in this Kund has special significance for establishing righteousness and furthering the ideology of harmony.
Quadrangular Weapon Pool (Chatushkon Kund)
When the goal of conducting Havan is to put an end to one’s unrest and establish tranquilly, this kund is used. All types of physical, spiritual and social desires are fulfilled by the Havan performed in this kund.
Ati Padam Kund
Padma means lotus, that is, the shape of this Havan Kund is in the form of a lotus. The only kund with 18 sections is this one. This Havan Kund is considered to be the provider of life in the scriptures. That is, if a person is after your life and keeps creating new conspiracies to kill you, then by performing Havan in this kund, you will get life and your enemy (means of victory over the enemy) will end.
Do not put the material that has fallen outside the Havan Kund into the Havan Kund.
Usually, when Havan is performed, some ingredients fall down while offering Havan Samagri or Aahuti in the Havan. Which some people pick up after the completion of the Havan and put it in the Havan Kund. Doing so is considered prohibited. If the Havan material has fallen on the top step of the Havan Kund, then you can put it again in the Havan Kund. Apart from this, the Havan material fallen on both the stairs is a part of Varun Devta. That’s why this material should be offered to them only.
Tantrik Havan Kund
Apart from Vedic Havan Kund, some instruments are also used in Tantric Havan Kund. Trikon Kund is generally used for performing Tantrik Havan.
Make Havan Kund According To the Offering
1. If you want to offer 50 or 100 oblations in Havan, then prepare a Havan Kund measuring from little finger to elbow (1 foot to 3 inches).
2. If you want to perform Havan of 1000 oblations, then prepare one hand long (1 foot 6 inch) Havan Kund for it.
3. Make a havan kund of four hands (6 feet) for performing the Havan of one Laksh Ahuti.
4. Prepare a Havan Kund six cubits long (9 feet) for offering ten lakhs.
5. Prepare Havan Kund of 8 hand (12 feet) or 16 hand for performing Havan of crores.
6. If you are unable to get a Havan Kund made, then you can make a four finger high, one finger high, or one hand long-wide sthandil using yellow soil or sand to perform a normal Havan.
7. Apart from this, you can also use copper or brass made Havan Kund available in the market for making Havan Kund.
According to the scriptures, you can use these Havan Kunds to perform Havan. These havan kunds made of brass or copper are wide mouthed from above and small mouthed from below. Many scholars use them for Havan – Balivaishva – Dev etc.
8. Instructions have been given in Bhavishyapuran to perform Havan of 50 oblations. Some differences are found in books like Shardatilak and Skandapuran regarding this topic mentioned in Bhavishyapuran.
Rules of Havan
“Mrigi” mudra should be used in Havan to perform both Vedic or Tantrik Yagyas related to human welfare.
1. One should always follow the orders of the scriptures, the orders of the Guru and the orders of the Acharyas for putting material in the Havan Kund.
2. While performing Havan, you should have faith in your mind that nothing will happen if you do it. Whatever will happen will happen because of the doing of the Guru.
3. To make the kund, the obstinate vata, throat, mekhla and navel should be fixed according to the size of the offering and the kund.
4. If something is done more or less in this work, then diseases, grief etc. can also cause problems.
5. That’s why while getting the Havan prepared, don’t just keep in mind the beauty, but the person making the kund should get the kund prepared according to the scriptures.
Benefits of Performing Havan
1. By performing Havan all the diseases of our body get destroyed.
2. By performing Havan, the surrounding environment becomes pure.
3. Havan is also a destroyer of heat.
4. By performing Havan, the amount of oxygen in the surrounding environment increases.
Scientific Benefits of Havan
Havan is a ritual. Which is done for a specific purpose or done by man, for freedom from sins or for human life or world peace. viewed from a scientific perspective. So Havan is very beneficial for both humans and nature.
Let us know about the scientific benefits of Havan. According to a study by The National Botanical Research Institute (NBRI). Along with this, French scientist Trele did research on Havan. In which he came to know why Havan is performed mainly with mango wood.
1. When mango wood burns. So a gas called formic aldehyde is produced. Which purifies the environment by killing dangerous bacteria.
2. A scientist named Toutik also did Havan research. He found if he sat in Havan for half an hour. Or the contact of the body with the smoke of Havan. So the bacteria that spread dangerous diseases like typhoid also die. The body becomes pure.
3. Scientists found that even when jaggery is burnt, formic aldehyde gas is produced.
4. The harmful bacteria present in the air are destroyed up to 94% by the smoke rising during the Yagya.
5. It purifies the environment. This reduces the possibility of spreading diseases to a great extent.
6. It has been found in the research that the smoke of Havan remains in the atmosphere for 30 days. Because of which poisonous germs do not grow. It also proves to be very effective in human health.
7. A special type of quality is created by the mixture of substances used in Havan which when burnt creates a specific effect in the atmosphere.
8. That effect is further enhanced by the power of chanting Vedic mantras.
9. Scientists have not yet succeeded in making artificial rain. But it has been seen that by Yagya and Havan, it has become possible.
10. According to our scriptures, our body is made up of five elements. In which earth, water, fire, air and sky are called Panchmahabhoot. Our body is made of these only. By performing yagya, these five elements are purified. They are satisfied. It remains satisfied.
When Should Havan Be Performed?
To perform Havan, add the date of that day and the number of times and deposit 1 in it. After this divide the total sum obtained by 4. If the remainder is 3 or 0, then that day will be considered as Agnivas on earth. Performing Havan on this day will bring auspicious results and this Havan will also be considered very auspicious.
If the remaining 2 are left, then that day is considered to be in the underworld and if Havan is performed on this day, the person has to suffer a huge loss of money. If the remaining 1 is left, then that day’s fire will be in the sky and performing Havan on this day gives a short life. Keep in mind that to find out the day, the day should be counted from Sunday and the date from Shukla Pratipada.
Idea of Fire
According to date wise, fire resides in earth, sky and underworld.
Earth’s abode of fire is the provider of all happiness, but the abode of fire in the sky causes physical pain and loss of wealth in the nether world, therefore apart from daily havan, rites and rituals, fire must be seen for havan in other worship work.
Special Precautions in Havan Work
To light the fire in the Havan Kund by blowing from the mouth, by cheating with cloth or any other object and the burning Havan fire should not be shaken or tampered with.
The part with the fire crest that is burning in the Havan Kund is called the face of the Agni Dev. By offering oblations on this part only, everything is accomplished.
Less burning part Eye – Blindness if sacrificed here,
The smoky part of the nostril – mental distress by offering oblations here.
The head with embers – If offered here, money gets destroyed and the wooden part is called the ear of Agni Dev; offering here causes many diseases in the body. Water should not be used to put out a Havana fire.
*Different home materials are also used to fulfill special wishes*
Common Incense Material
Sesame, Barley, Rice, White sandalwood powder, Agar, Tagar, Guggul, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Talispatra, Pandi, Clove, Big Cardamom, Shell, Dates, Sarvoshadhi, Nagar Moutha, Indra Barley, Kapoor Kachari, Amla, Giloy, Nutmeg , Brahmi Tulsi Raisins, Balchhad, Ghee etc. ,
In the Vashishti Havan technique, several more samidhas are also explained. For example, some samidhas have also been recounted in accordance with the planets and deities, and the fruits of the samidhas of various plants have also been told in a variety of ways.
खादिरी भूमिपुत्रस्य त्वपामार्गी बुधस्य च॥
गुरौरश्वत्थजा प्रोक्त शक्रस्यौदुम्बरी मता.
शमीनां तु शनेः प्रोक्त राहर्दूर्वामयी तथा॥
केतोर्दभमयी प्रोक्ताऽन्येषां पालाशवृक्षजा॥
आर्की नाशयते व्याधिं पालाशी सर्वकामदा.
खादिरी त्वर्थलाभायापामार्गी चेष्टादर्शिनी.
प्रजालाभाय चाश्वत्थी स्वर्गायौदुम्बरी भवेत.
शमी शमयते पापं दूर्वा दीर्घायुरेव च.
कुशाः सर्वार्थकामानां परमं रक्षणं विदुः.
यथा बाण हारणां कवचं वारकं भवेत.
तद्वद्दैवोपघातानां शान्तिर्भवति वारिका॥
यथा समुत्थितं यन्त्रं यन्त्रेण प्रतिहन्यते.
तथा समुत्थितं घोरं शीघ्रं शान्त्या प्रशाम्यति॥
Khaadibhoomiputrasy Tvapaamaargee Budhasy Ch.
Guraurashvatthaja Prokt Shakrasyaudumbaree Maata.
Shameenaan Tu Shaneh Prokt Raahurvaamayee Tatha.
Ketordabhamayee Proktaanyeshaan Palaashavrkshaja.
Archana Naashayate Vyaadhin Paalaashee Sarvakaamada.
Khaadiree Tvarthalaabhaayaapaamaargee Cheshtaadarshinee.
Prajaalaabhaay Chashvatthee Svargaayaudumbaree Bhavet.
Shamee Shamayate Paapan Doorva Deerghaayurev Ch.
Kushaah Sarvaarthakaamaanaan Paraman Rakshanan Viduh.
Yatha Baan Haaranaan Kavachan Vaarakan Bhavet.
Taddvaivopaghaataanaan Shaantirbhavati Vaarika.
Yatha Samutthitan Yantran Yantren Pratihanyate.
Tatha Samutthitan Ghoran Sheeghran Shaantya Prashaamyati.
Now the thought of Samit (Samidha) is called Sun’s Samidha of Madar, Moon’s Palash, Mars’s Khair, Mercury’s Irritable, Jupiter’s Peepal, Venus’s Sycamore, Shani’s Shami, Rahu Durva, And Ketu’s Kusha’s samidha has been said. Apart from these, Palash tree’s samidha should be known for the gods. The giver, Shami the destroyer of sins, Durva the giver of longevity and Kusha’s samidha is the one who fulfills all wishes, just as there is a shield that stops the strikes of arrows, in the same way peace is the one who stops the attacks of the gods. Just as a raised weapon is cut with a weapon, in the same way severe troubles are pacified by the peace of the Navagrahas.
Woods Useful in Samidha
According to the seasons, the wood of these trees proves to be very useful for Samidha.
Vasant – Shami
Summer – Peepal
Rain cover – Bilva
Sharad – Pakar or Mango
Hemant – Well
Shishir – Gular
Special care should be taken that these woods should not be rotten, rotting, lying at dirty places, full of insects.
Different Havan materials and samidhas give different types of benefits and give the ability to fight against different diseases.
In ancient times, there were various havans to cure the patient, which was performed by the doctor or doctor according to the nature of the patient and the disease, but later on, these Yagya or Havan were only associated with religion and their other purposes were forgotten by the people. .
See from this verse how Havan was used to treat headache or pain:
Shweta Jyotishmati Chaiva Haritalam Manahshila.. Gandhaashcha Gurupatraadya Dhoom Murdhavirechanam..
That is, by performing Havan of Aparajita, Malkangani, Hartal, Mansil, Agar and Tejpatra medicines, Shiro Virechana is done.
But now this medical method has almost become extinct.
Havan Material Used For Diseases and Their Destruction
1. For diseases of the head, headache, depression, excitement, hysteria, epilepsy, etc.
Brahmi, Shankhpushpi, Jatamansi, Agar, Honey, Camphor, Yellow Mustard
2. Bel, Sheonak, Ginger, Nutmeg, Nirgundi, Kateri, Giloy Cardamom, Sugar, Ghee, Honey, Semal, Shisham for gynecological diseases, gout, long-standing fever
3. White sandalwood powder, agar, tagar, ashwagandha, palash, camphor, makhane, guggul, nutmeg, cinnamon, talispatra, clove, large cardamom, gola, to strengthen men and for male diseases
4. Bhringraj, Amla, Bael, Harad, Apamarg, Gular, Durva, Guggul Ghee, Cardamom for stomach and liver diseases.
5. Van Tulsi, Giloy, Harad, Khair Apamarg, Black Pepper, Agar Tagar, Camphor, Cinnamon, Honey, Ghee, Ashwagandha, Aak, Eucalyptis for breathing diseases.
What to Do After Offering Oblations in Havan?
After making oblations, after dividing the three types of areas, visualize the directions like east in the central part. After this imagine the eight directions. The names of the eight directions are – Purva Agni, Dakshina, Niriti, Paschima, Vayavya, Uttara and Ishan.
Also Watch: Powerful Mantra of Hindu Dharma
Brahmin Food in the Full Offering of Havan
According to “”Brihaspati Samhita””, the following number of brahmins must be offered food if the Yagya Havan is performed with a special object.
Paan – 5 Brahmins
Pakwanna – 10 brahmins
Rituphal – 20 Brahmins
Betel nut – 21 Brahmins
Coconut – 100 Brahmins
Ghritdhara – 200 Brahmins